FLEXXIBLE IT BLOG
FlexxDesktop June 2022 Updates – DaaS, RBAC, Disk Shrinkage, and more
You say potato, and I say potahto. Desktop as a Service or DaaS is more than just about ‘desktops.’ DaaS is a cloud-based solution that delivers desktops and apps to users on any device, anywhere. It’s a turnkey solution that the service provider manages, so it’s ideal for organizations that don’t have the resources to manage a complex on-premises infrastructure. VDI, on the other hand, is an on-premises solution that gives organizations more control over their desktop environment. It’s ideal for organizations with the resources to manage their own infrastructure and want more control over their data. What if you could have the best of both worlds? With FlexxDesktop, you can! We can deliver desktops and applications on any underlying technology or cloud where the customer wants. FlexxDesktop can:
- Reduced hardware costs: FlexxDesktop can eliminate the need for on-premises hardware or move your hardware costs from CAPEX to OPEX with our hardware stack.
- Increased flexibility and scalability: FlexxDesktop can adapt to any requirements you have and can be quickly scaled up or down to meet changing demands.
- Improved security: FlexxDesktop provides enhanced security features, such as multi-factor authentication and data encryption.
- Enhanced user experience: FlexxDesktop delivers a high-quality end-user experience with desktop pooling and application virtualization features.
So whether you say desktop, applications, or workspaces, FlexxDesktop is a fully-managed, Workspace as a Service (WaaS) solution that works with any cloud, any data center, and any EUC technology.
FlexxDesktop v22.05 Updates
This month is packed with updates to enhance our Desktop as a Service story from our Citrix integrations and more cloud cost-savings measures.
Generally Available: Native Integration with Citrix DaaS
After much beta testing and quality control checks, we have officially released native support for Citrix DaaS. FlexxWorkspaces can now send power and maintenance actions to Citrix Cloud Connectors, managing host virtual machines and simplifying the supportability of Citrix DaaS at level 1 and level 2. Find out how this works here.
New: Azure OS Shrink Disk Cost Savings
FlexxWorkspaces enables all to see the potential storage cost savings for a workspace by shrinking the OS disk. Find the feature here: Level 1 -> Workspaces -> select a workspace -> then scroll down and click on Cost savings.
New: Configuration Management Database
FlexxWorkspaces now offers a basic Configuration Management Database option: Configuration -> Settings -> Other features -> Enable CMDB -> True.
New: Remote Desktop Connection Support
FlexxWorkspaces now supports the ability to leverage Remote Desktop Connections to any workspace. How: Level 1 -> Workspaces, select a workspace, Operations -> Remote administration.
Enhancement: Native Integration with Citrix On-premises Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops
FlexxDesktop can now fully manage Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops on-premises. FlexxWorkspaces has enabled the option to specify a computer with the FlexxAgent installed as the communication point to a Delivery Controller. Our FlexxAgent can also send power and maintenance actions to the Citrix Delivery Controllers. We have enhanced this feature further by adding the ability to import the site and automatically install the proper requirements. This new capability allows starting powered-off VMs and setting maintenance mode. How to do it?
Enhancement: Role-Based Access Control
FlexxWorkspaces now has six default roles adding a new ‘read only’ administrator role:
- Admin Team
- Admin Team (Read-Only)
- Level 1 Support Team
- Level 1 Support Team (Read-Only)
- Level 2 Support Team
- Level 2 Support Team (Read-Only)
The FlexxDesktop FlexxAgent can now be configured to work over a proxy server.
Enhancement: Disk Detection
FlexxWorkspaces now detects both OS and data disks in physical and virtual workspaces.
Improvement: Updated FlexxWorkspaces Azure Marketplace Offering
The FlexxWorkspaces Azure Marketplace offering was updated to integrate .NET Framework 4.8 and the Citrix Remote PowerShell SDK for the Citrix DaaS integration
Improvement: Link to Jobs
In FlexxWorkspaces, any operation taken will display a link to the job created by all actions that generate a job—for example, performing a power action on a workspace.
Improvement: Enhanced Settings Panel
The FlexxWorkspaces settings panel is redesigned for a more straightforward configuration.
Thanks to our customers and quality assurance team for finding minor issues to fix. Here are any fixes addressed in this release:
- The tenant filter of a Citrix on-premises site may not work.
- FlexxWorkspaces never deleted connection logs from the database. FlexxWorkspaces now deletes the connection logs when the session is deleted from the historical data. By default, FlexxWorkspaces deletes connection logs after 30 days.
- An administrator could not delete users or groups from FlexxWorkspaces.
- The Subscription wizard allowed you to continue with a blank IoT Hub.
- The Configuration -> Updates -> Check for new updates process was improved.
That’s a Wrap
As you can see, there have been many great features and enhancements done, so kudos to the team for a job well done! Remember, FlexxDesktop is a fully managed Desktop as a Service solution where you want it, and the best part – is that we assume operations, support, and maintenance of everything. What does this really mean?
- FlexxDesktop is a monthly pay-as-you-grow solution, meaning you only pay for what you consume.
- FlexxDesktop is a premium service with strict SLAs ensuring 99.9% uptime
- FlexxDesktop is an adaptable solution that can scale at any time to any cloud-based on the demands of the business
- FlexxDesktop requires no upfront investment or a multi-year lock-in
In short, Flexxible IT gives you a fully managed DaaS anywhere service!
For more information on the FlexxWorkspaces release, click HERE.
To submit feature ideas for FlexxWorkspaces, click HERE.
For information on FlexxDesktop, click HERE.